Re: reading high voltage

	The phrase was:
 >>      i'm looking to use my multimeter to read high voltage
	"looking to use", implicitly to modify, adapt, etc.

> because they do not make multimeter themselves that read

> high voltage.  What you need instead is a high voltage

> probe that hooks up to your meter.  Or a high voltage

> divider.

	Which is what he is asking how to do.

> You could even build a high voltage divider yourself

>>hi all
>>i'm looking to use my multimeter to read high voltage

>>dc and wonderedwhat resistors i should use
>>i am looking for a probe to read 10 kv

	Need to know the input resistance/impedance of
	the voltmeter to answer that question.

	Then it is straight Ohms law, either directly

	into the meter input as the lower leg of the

	divider, or, better, with a lower leg at
	about 1/10 that of the meter input, and an upper
	leg calculated from that.

	Check the power dissipation, for the chosen
	values, and order resistors to suit.  Or buy a
	probe.  For UK, I'd guess MAPLINS would have
	summat'.

	best
	dwp

...the net of a million lies...