Re: Connecting secondary

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Kidd6488-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 10/21/02 12:05:08 AM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> What is the best way to secure the wire on the secondary? Should I drill a
> small hole in the top and bottom and feed the wire through and secure it from
> the back and connect the two ends to the toroid and ground?  Also how do I
> connect the toroid to the secondary (both physically and electrically)?

Matt, Here is how I did it.
       I purchased two endcaps for my coil that were flat on the ends. the
bottom cap, I cut down to keep the secondary at the right height.  On the
bottom of the cap, I drilled 5 holes, 4 of which are for the bolts I use to
secure the sec. to my table.  On to the side of this cap, I bolted a copper
plate, the heads of the bolts were flat, and i counter sunk the inside, so that
the pipe could go into the cap. On this plate, I soldered a bolt, which served
as the connnection for RF ground. (I used a lug on the RF.Gnd. cable.) This is
all before the coil was wound. Then I soldered an inch or two of the magnet
wire onto the plate, and started winding (explanation of how I wound is at the
bottom.). When I got to 30", I taped down the wire (This is at the top by the
toroid). I soldered that end to about a foot of standard 12AWG (Primary) wire.
I chose this because it was very flexible. I put the solder job, and some of
that wire under a nic! e blob of JB Weld. After that dried, I removed that
piece of tape.
       On the other cap, I drilled one hole in the dead center of the cap, and
put a threaded rod about 1.5" long in the cap. This is what I connected that
12AWG wire to, via a lug.
Then for my toroid, I have a threadedrod comingout of the bottom, with a
coupler ( like a very tall nut) on the end, with stop nut behind it. So to
connect the toroid, I simply spin it on.

To wind the coil, I got a very long threaded rod, andran it inside the coil,
and tightened nuts down on the in&outside. This way the whole coil was hooked
to the rod. Then I put the rod in a drill, and spun it, while my dad directed
the wire. Then I replaced the drill with a coathanger crank, to go slower, and
to varnish it. Dual 500W halogens help with the drying, but don't keep them to
close, or you will get bubbles :-( .

Wow that was a lot of typing. I'm keeping that for my website. :-D
Jonathon Reinhart
hot-streamer-dot-com/jonathon