Re: Bleed Resistor for Homemade/Large Caps - THE FULL DESIGN NOTE S

Original poster: "Jeremy Scott by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <supertux1-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Okay,

I've had one person say that stringing
10Mohm 1/2 Watt resistors would work...
and another saying that they all have
to be 5 Watts ...

So which is it?

As I understand it a resistor dissipates
energy as heat. The larger the resistor,
the more heat it can dissipate due to
increased contact with the air. Thus, a
resistor's length and cross section has
a direct effect on how much power it can
handle.

So stringing together 15 10Mohm 1/2 Watt
resistors *should* give 15 times more
surface area than a single 1/2 Watt resistor.
This *should* then be able to handle 7.5 watts,
providing all of the resistors are the same value.

Calculations based on 21000V, 15 1/2 Watt
10Mohm resistors.

I = V / R
I = 21000V / 150 000 000 Ohms
I = .00014A

W = I * R
W = 21000V * .00014A
W = 2.94

Voltage across each resistor in this string
of 15 is going to be about 1400V

Ir = Vr * R
Ir = 1400 / 10 000 000
Ir = .00014