Re: Bleed Resistor for Homemade/Large Caps - THE FULL DESIGN NOTE S

At 05:54 PM 10/29/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>Original poster: "Jeremy Scott by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
><supertux1-at-yahoo-dot-com>
>
>Okay,
>
>I've had one person say that stringing
>10Mohm 1/2 Watt resistors would work...
>and another saying that they all have
>to be 5 Watts ...

The resistors will be dissipating less than 1/2 watt, but, you just might
want to use bigger resistors:
1) higher breakdown voltage
2) more margin between power dissipation and rated max dissipation

Since resistors are cheap, why not overdesign/overbuild a bit...

Other ideas.. use the 1/2 watt resistors, but use them in 4's, series
parallel.  Basically a 2W resistor of the same value, but, more redundancy
and failure tolerance (except that if one fails open (the usual failure
mode), the one that was parallel will now be dissipating 4 times the power
that it was before (but, since your design only disspates 1/3 watt anyway,
you're still under the limit)...

The advantage is that your bleeder can have a failure, and still perform
it's assigned safety function, which is really what it's all about.