Re: Digital Camera recommendations for coil photos

Original poster: "Gregory Hunter by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ghunter31014-at-yahoo-dot-com>

> Original poster: "Dave Hartwick by way of Terry
> Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
> <ddhartwick-at-earthlink-dot-net>
>
> (Terry--I'm hoping this is a legitimate are of
> inquiry)
>
> Looking to buy a digital camera and one of most
> important criteria is the
> ability to take good shots of my coils in action.
>
> What are you using? Is the RF field cause problems?
> Good place to buy? I'm
> looking for close up capability so that I can take
> shots of my system
> components and share them with the group.
>
> Some of these dig cams have video clip capability. I
> wonder how this works
> for Coil vid clips?
>
> Dave

Hi Dave,

I've gotten good results with the little Kodak DX3900.
This is a pocket-size 3 Mega-Pixel camera which offers
full-auto or full-manual exposure control. I think
manual control is essential for good spark photos.

It also takes razor-sharp stills for more mundane
purposes, such as closups of coil components. It has a
good macro function that allows you to get within
inches of a subject for extreme closeups with very
good detail.

I use NiMH rechargable "AA" cells with this camera,
and battery life has never been an issue. I've used it
for vacations, church functions, birthday parties, and
so on for hours at a time. I've never missed a photo
due to short battery life. I can get 100's of
exposures on a single recharge.

Here are some links from my site related to this
little camera.

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/greg/MOTsparks01.jpg
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/greg/MOTsparks02.jpg
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/greg/1700va.jpg