Re: VTTC, sputter or not?

Original poster: "S Gaeta by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <sgtporky-at-prodigy-dot-net>

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Sent: Sunday, September 29, 2002 4:59 PM
Subject: VTTC, sputter or not?

> Original poster: "Steven Ward by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<srward16-at-hotmail-dot-com>

> Ok,
>
> Im torn between designs right now.  I find the simplicity in the standard
> grid leak coil design, to be appealing, but the tubes get red!  I have
read
> that 811A should not show any color on the plate?  But i also heard the
> sputter mode can cause some kickback into the tube.  But then again the
> standard, grid leak, circuit users reported some flash overs inside of the
> tube.

A Dull orange on the plate is OK. Tune for maximum spark, and just keep an
eye on the plate, and grid current. I can't comment at all on sputter mode
because I have never tried it. All I can say is that John Freau gets
excellent performance using that method. He uses 833As though, which are
very tough compared to the 811As.

Sue