Re: New 4" coil: R.Hull and CSN, Secondary Varnish

Original poster: "Mark Fergerson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mfergerson1-at-cox-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

> Tesla list wrote:
> >
> > Original poster: "Jeff W. Parisse by way of Terry Fritz
> <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jparisse-at-teslacoil-dot-com>
>
> > We haven't noticed the "secondary after shock" with the 3M coating
> > either. My hunch is that the rough micro surface of the semi-hard resin
> > is less of a capacitor plate (yes I meant plate) than the glass like
> > surface of hard resin. I'm sure I'm starting a new thread in which I'm
> > not qualified to contribute so I'll just leave it at that.
>
> All the epoxy resins that I have seen are poor insulators. Maybe
> good enough for Tesla coil insulation, and even advantageous for
> safely draining static charges. Epoxy doesn't retain static
> charges for long (seconds) periods. It can't even be electrized by
> friction. A big no-no for electrostatics.

  So off-the-shelf epoxy would make a
poor electret? (reminiscing the
"mysterious shocks" thread here)

  ISTM we're between a rock (good