Re: Spark gap

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Tesla729-at-cs-dot-com>

In a message dated 9/2/02 11:53:15 AM Pacific Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> snip - - -
> >
> >:  I've
> >been hitting all of the sites and the archives concerning rsg's, and I was
> >wondering why a gap couldn't be constructed using only two stationary
> >electrodes and having small holes drilled in the disc to control firing
> >times.  Wouldn't this help to alleviate problems concerning arcs following
> >the electrodes on a standard rotary disc, as well as having very precise
> >control over quenching?  I'm sure there's a suitable material that could
> >handle the high heat as the arc passes thru the holes without eroding it.
>

> Hi John,
> I believe this would rule out most plastics/composites as they will melt/burn
> at the high temps and plasma effects of an arc at the edge of the hole. I
> think
> some sort of ceramic disk might be possible. If you have a friend with a
> pottery kiln, you might try making a few and try it.
> Matt D.

I wonder if a ceramic disc could withstand the centrifugal forces
associated with employment in an RSG/ARSG without under-
going catastrophic seperation, as pottery ceramics are inherent-
ly brittle?

David Rieben