Re: 6 MOT Coil

Original poster: "Tim J by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <digital_raven45-at-hotmail-dot-com>

7 ft isn't a bad spark length, but your system should be REALLY pushing out
sparks! ....my system is nearly identical to yours except on the tank
capacitor and RSG speed. I'm running 165 nF 50 kVDC homebuilt capacitor
right now...(I'm currently adding a few more layer for 195 nF - 200 nF) and
a new angle grinder driven RSG which does 11,200 RPM with 8 break points. I
also have a variable current load which restricts anywhere from 3 - 11 kW
input (an old 240VAC 50A welder rewired). I've also knocked the shunts out
of my MOT's, removed the filiment windings, and added polyethlyene spaced to
hold up the secondary windings...I find that MOT's can output as much a 150
VAC extra + don't get nearly as warm when pushed to high wattage!

This modification was done on the weekend: before this I was using
PFC's...on shunted MOT's. Each MOT could handle 1400 watts - 1800 watts peak
with shunts in even then spark length was 13 ft. Without shunts these MOT's
can draw double that...for short runs the system can draw nearly all
available power...almost to brown out!

The spark length has improved by a 'foot and a bit' since then. :)

So its really easy for me to control current flow. I've done a Jacobs Ladder
test, and the arcs are forming at 1.5 cm exactly. So in rough measure thats
over 14400 VAC with huge mA values!

.....you don't need to get as insain as I have :) .....but with tank values
in the 160 nF range....and a faster RSG with added breakpoints, you'll be
able to do better TC streamer length. It also depends on how much current
your MOT's are outputting too.

Tim,