Re: OLTC idea...

Original poster: "K. C. Herrick by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <kchdlh-at-juno-dot-com>

Wells, Terry & all from Ken Herrick-

I've always thought that this kind of thing was a good idea: cause as
much of the primary circuit's magnetic flux as possible to pass thru the
secondary rather than go elsewhere.  My s.s. system started out with 1
(equivalent) primary turn but I've increased that now to 3 in order to
reduce the magnetizing current.  I keep all the primary's
current-carrying components (MOSFETs, capacitors) as close to the
location of the actual conductors as possible.  But I need to use
discrete capacitors since mine are large electrolytics (driving an
untuned primary).

It seems to me that Terry's capacitors are indeed "part of the inductive
loop".  Their inductance comprises part of the total primary inductance
and they appear to be physically oriented such that the flux from that
inductance goes pretty much where the flux from the copper coil goes.

I've made a paper-design of a spark-gap system in which the primary's
multiple capacitors, and multiple spark gaps, are arrayed in a circle
co-planar with a copper-tubing coil so as to constitute not only the "C"
of the L-C primary but also one of the 6 turns of conductor.  So far,
alas, it's only on paper...

Ken Herrick