RE: how to's: SRSG

Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>

Let me add to the question, as I've been thinking of building one.

1) How is the disk mounted to the motor shaft?  Where to get the
necessary hardware?

You'll need some sort of rotor hub.  Some people using arbor bits from
www.mcmaster-dot-com but you really do need a hub since these things tend to
slip.  I've searched all over the planet for good sized rotor hubs, but this
one you're probably going to either machine yourself (lathe) or buy one from
someone else.  Dr. Resonance sells them for $65.00 i think if you ask him.

2) How to balance if it wobbles?  Shave a little off the heavy side, but
how do you figure out which side that is?

First off, when you lathe your rotor, make sure you lathe your rotor with
the rotor hub attached.  This ensures a perfect balanced rotor.  And then,
never take the hub off either otherwise, it could move from your original
point (albeit a few thousandths) but enough to give it a little wobble (this
happened to me btw)

But, a little wobble in the smaller SRSG aren't going to effect you too
much.  As long as you have good electrode spacing and contact then you are
all good.  I have a friend who built an SRSG real quick and dirty and this
thing wobbled like a square wheel, but his coil still worked fantastic.
Just remember, too much wobble could damage the motor and/or shaft.

Dan