Re: Simple Ballast - Photos and data

Original poster: "Edward Wingate by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ewing7-at-rochester.rr-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<Gary.Lau-at-hp-dot-com>
<snip>
> I also wanted to go on record for being truly impressed with your
> propeller-style RSG construction (see link below).  Folks wanting to build
> an RSG may want to consider this.  I think a set screw to lock the rotating
> rods in place as well as a shrapnel shield would be wise additions, but
> your construction is much simpler than disk-based RSG's.  I also gave the
> rotating rod the finger test immediately after your demo.  They were very
> warm near the tips, but apparently Tungsten is a poor thermal conductor,
> and with so much air flow, the rod near the HDPE arbor (?)  was cool to the
> touch.
>
> Regards, Gary Lau
> MA, USA

Gary,

Actually, I have A/B tested tungsten VS brass for thermal conductivity
and tungsten wins hands down, tungsten is both a better thermal AND
electrical conductor than brass.

Ed Wingate RATCB