RE: Requiem for a Piglet: I am a murderer

Original poster: "Dave Hartwick by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ddhartwick-at-earthlink-dot-net>

Terry, Ken, All,
Here's the failure scenario:

I had performed perhaps 7-10, 1-2 minute runs at various power levels,
experimenting with various toroids, fine tuning along the way.

Prior to failure, the system was in good tune and I was cranking it up
fairly high. I do not have an ammeter in line, so I don't know the current
flow, but I did trip the 240 v, 30 amp breakers a few times. Note that I
have the connections to the variac's taps selected so that some voltage step
up is obtained at near maximum settings--280v being about the max, I think.

I have a standard 3 electrode safety gap, with center 'trode connected to RF
ground. BUT!!! this morning I discovered that the clip lead connecting this
electrode to RF ground had slipped off.
Maybe I kicked it without knowing, but obviously the safety gap was not
draining the few primary strikes to ground.

Also, I do not have any portion of my piglet grounded. I believe this is
standard practice.

Anyway,  the breakers tripped for the last time, and that was it. Based on
Ken's measurements, it does seem that my winding DC resistance measurements
are abnormal.

I guess I'll have to drain the oil and pull the core; but I wonder if this
is worth the effort.
The malfunction will have to be fairly obvious and accessible if there is to
be any hope of repair.

If I cannot effect repair, I wonder if T&R would be willing to take the unit
back for some credit towards another? I'm probably dreaming. Maybe I should
just build an MOT supply, but from others experiences, it seems like these
are difficult to tame.
Dave

Hi Ken,

Me thinks that you meant "325 Ohms across the "secondary"" and "0.061 Ohms
across the "primary"...  Of course, "coilers" tend to reverse the meaning
of primary and secondary from what the true pig users mean...   I guess we
all understand the meanings here...

We must keep are heads during this tragedy...

Cheers,

	Terry

At 12:28 AM 9/8/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>my polemount transformer measures 325 Ohms across the primary, secondary is
>0.061 Ohms across the 240 volt winding. It's a 10kVA 14.4kv unit and has
the
>standard aluminum coils.
>
>KEN

Again,
>> the "AC" reactance is the key.  A "little" streamer back flash is nothing
>> compared to the lightning strikes these babies are meant to survive.  If
>> you got this pig from anyplace with a reputation, they probably pulse
>> tested it to levels that make a Tesla coil look trivial.  Pigs just don't
>> die...  Gomez killed his after running it a few years "without oil" at
>like
>> 10kVA...  Streamer strikes just don't have enough energy to do much
>> damage...  Murder?  I ain't even sure there is a body yet...  Start
>testing
>> "everything"...
>>
>> Of course, something probably "is" broken...  Try running a big high
>> wattage heater, or what ever, off Jennifer and check the wiper and her
>> contact windings for a "bad spot".  If found, sand and grind the heck out
>> of it and go on...  You really need to test each part out well and be
>> "sure" that you have a dead part before getting too excited.
>>
>> My guess is...  "Condenser Products 0.05 ufd caps"...  If you got blown
>caps...
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Terry
>>

>> At 11:22 PM 9/7/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>> >Brothers,
>> >
>> >I admit it: I thought I was better than those peasants who insist on
>using
>> >such a trifles as a strike rail. I thought I was well protected. Tonight
>> >spent considerable time rearranging the lab for greater spark length. I
>paid
>> >much attention to safety and grounds and all manner of coiling
>imperatives.
>> >
>> >I wasn't worried about a strike rail because I had my safety gap well in
>> >hand, and I thought piggies were indestructible; but this is not the
>> >case--for tonight I killed my Ariel.
>> >
>> >My Ariel. She is my piglet, and I killed her.
>> >

>> >Oh sure, amidst the tears, as part of the loving post mortem, I measured
>her
>> >primary resistance.
>> >1.4 ohms across all 3 fetching terminals--much of it probably the aloof
>> >probe wire. She then begged me for attention to her secondary. About 1
K,