Re: H/D Aspect Ratio . . . How much does it matter ? ? ?

Original poster: "D.C. Cox by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <resonance-at-jvlnet-dot-com>

If you are building a med size coil and using, perhaps, a 20 x 5 topload
with a small cap on the primary, then you in fact can get away with a 3:1
ratio.

If you are using 26 AWG magnet wire, ie, a lot of turns, then you should
consider the 4.5:1 ratio to prevent excessive strikes to the strike guard
ratio.  A lot of turns with a very large toroid produces the greatest spark
output, however, the slightly taller aspect ratio is better because with
this setup you need the height to prevent excessive strikes.

We've used many ratios on hundreds of coils built over 37 years of coiling
and the 4.5:1 is still my favorite for med size coils with great spark
output.  Example, our standard NST 15 kV 120 mA coil produces 6 ft. sparks
and aspect ratio is 4.5 : 1.  Primary cap is .05 MFD.

Dr. Resonance