Re: Why no corona?

They actually do have problems with corona I would guess. I know for a fact
that I've heard the familier hiss on more than one occasion while standing
under a HV line. Also remember that the really high voltage lines are rather
rare. Sure, there are transmission lines that run up to 768kV or better.
I've even heard of megavolt lines (anyone know where these are?) that run
across deserts. But the vast majority of power lines are small, under
14.4kV. Also, while we run at 400kV regularly, their 400kV would act a lot
differently. Even though the voltage is the same, the frequency is a lot
different. And weather it's a megavolt line across a desert, or the 120 in
your wall outlet, it's ALL at 60hz. Things get freaky with frequency.

I've heard corona on humid or rainy days, and in the winter (when it's
really dry) as well. I've seen the long, graceful bends in HV Buss at
substations (corona likes sharp points). So my guess would be that they DO
have problems with corona, you just don't notice it much because it's very
quiet compared to the usuall surroundings, and it's not bright enough to
attract attention, in fact, in broad daylight it's difficult to see a 6' arc
from a TC, a little purple glow, never.

Christopher "Duck" Boden Geek#1
President / C.E.O. / Alpha Geek
The Geek Group
www.thegeekgroup-dot-org

"He had that rare weird electricity about him--that
extremely wild and heavy presence that you only see in
a person who has abandoned all hope of ever behaving
normally." --Hunter S. Thompson