Re: Requiem for a Piglet: I am a murderer(primary-secondary?)

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "David Huffman by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <huffman-at-fnal.gov>

> I'm not a power engineer, but what do they do at the power plant end where
> the voltage is raised for transmittion on the grid? Is the transformer built
> different? I tend to think of the primary as where the power goes in and the
> secondary as the output.
> Dave Huffman

	Not a bad definition.  A transformer "works both ways".  In the case of
a distribution transformer intended to "step down" a high voltage to a
low one, the primary is the HV winding.  At the generator the power
"goes in" to the LV winding, which can be called the primary and comes
out the HV winding which can be called the secondary.  I've taken a
number of courses in "power engineering" and don't recall the subject
having been discussed.  A transformer is a transformer and you can use
it as you want.

Ed