Re: defective caps?!?!

Hi Steve,

The caps you sent are not metal foil!!  They are metalized film where a
very thin layer of aluminum is vacuum evaporated onto the poly film.
Unlike solid foil caps, metal film caps tend to have weak connections at
the end caps that will fail under very high currents.  That is what
happened to your's that were burnt at the end plates.

I thought the GE 42L series were a solid metal foil type.  Others in the
42L series seem to work ok, but I wonder what is going on.  It is possible
GE mixed foil and film types in the same series.  I never have seen any
data sheet on these caps.

Your 42L2332  1200VDC 0.33 uF caps are not able to take as much "peak"
current as solid foil caps.  They run ok for awhile until the connections
start to fail and then they degrade very quickly until the ends get hot,
burn away, and they bubble up.  This is what happened to Garry Freemyer's
caps too.

Even metal film caps may work for a TC.  It all depends on the peak
currents and if that caps can take it.  Normally foil caps can take many
times the peak current of a film cap so we get them.

I would not find it hard to believe that either GE mixes construction
inside the 42L series or the other caps are just able to take the peak
currents despite being metal film.  Testing on other of the 42L series
seems to indicate that they were foil and not film...  GE may have also
switch to metal foil at some point as an ECO...

So the problem with the caps is obvious.  However, the GE42L series seems
to be a rather unknown type of cap now.  Does anybody have any solid data
sheets on them??

I seem to remember cutting up the bigger GE 42L caps and they were metal
foil...  But all big yellow caps look the same and it may have been
something else...  Too long to remember...

Cheers,

	Terry