Re: Does my transformer have PCB oil????????

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com>

Thanks for the reply.  As the transformer leaked almost its entire load of
oil in the trunk of my car, I was a bit concerned.
However, I did some research and there is a simple test to detect the
presence of PCB oil.

WATER DENSITY TEST

Since PCB oil has a density of about 1.5 (water being 1.0), it is heavier
than water.  Therefore, I took a small amount of the oil and then mixed it
with a glass of water.
The oil was completely floating on top of the water which should be a good
indication that it is just mineral oil or some derivative and not PCB.   So
thats good.

There is another method involving the heating of a copper rod to detect the
presence of chlorine, but i currently dont' have a small blow torch.

Thanks again.

Dan

> Hi Dan,
>
> I dug this up suggesting PCBs were around in 1947:
>
> http://www.darp.noaa.gov/neregion/hudsonr.htm
>
> Best just to test the oil.  I think the archives or list members know how.
But