Re: Street light ballasts

Original poster: "Andy Cobaugh by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <kb3ewy-at-rcn-dot-com>

Nick

I also have seen light ballasts in the heavy metal dumpster at the local
recycling center.  The ones I found had 330VAC 8uF caps on them.  There were
a total of 40, I kept the 40 caps and 5 of the transformers.  The caps
should be good for PFC, the windings in the transformers could be used as an
inductive ballast, but not sure how they would hold up.  It looks like the
ones I have use small gauge wire, but paralleling them then putting them in
series might work????

Cheers,

Andy C.
Internet Homepage: http://users.rcn-dot-com/tcobaugh/