RE: Motorized Variac question . . .

Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>

FWIW,
Certainly, the variac wiper will mechanically stop when it hits the end
of its travel.  However, it is best to have a pair of microswitches
arranged to stop rotation in the appropriate direction before you hit
the stop hard.  The switch should break the motor circuit just as the
wiper reaches the end of the travel.

>>2.  Do these motorized variacs have mechanical limits on them,
>>
>>	(A manual variac can ALWAYS be spun down.  An motorized
>>	one...)

My control panel has a big master cutout latching relay circuit which
separates the mains from all internal components, including the variac.
 I can hit the bit red mushroom switch button a lot faster than I can
spin a big variac down to zero, and it kills both the MOT bank and the
rotary gap simultaneously.
Dave

Thats a good idea.  Currently, me design only had the E-STOP cut the power
to the MAIN output of my AC/DC Controller.

I think I will modify my design so that the E-STOP will kill all outputs
(MAIN, AUX1, and AUX2)

Thanks
Dan