Re: Space Winding Thought/Question

Original poster: "Jason Johnson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <hvjjohnson13-at-hotmail-dot-com>

> Just a crazy thought but here goes...........
>
> Has anyone thought about winding a secondary with two spools of wire?
What I
> mean is, winding it like space winding except using a second wire
instead of
> nylon line.  This would mean you would have two wires at the top and
at the
> bottom of the secondary.  I have no idea what the benefit would be but
just
> thought I'd ask.  Also...........

Yep. I have a 7 foot long secondary coilform hanging in my garage I have
to get around to winding this way someday. It is going to be bifilar
wound like you asked with 21 guage, or the equivalent of 15 gauge. As I
see it there are really no benfits, at least not noticable ones anyway.
In my case the main benefit is cost, but winding this beast is probably
going to suck.

> Has anyone thought about winding a secondary and then going over that
with
> another layer of wire (not space winding it) ?

Also yes. Somebody use to do this with their driver or tertiary coil on
a magnifier, with instrument wire if I'm not mistaken. I can't think of
who right off though (Bert Pool maybe?). The benefit of this: you cram
more inductance in a small area, but you increase voltage stress,
assuming that you meant series wound and not parrallel.

> Thanks
> Gregg Adams

<< Jason R. Johnson >>
G-3 #1129
The Geek Group
http://www.thegeekgroup-dot-org/

"The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and
stupidity."
 -Albert Einstein