Re: Why no corona? (fwd)

Original poster: Tesla List Moderator <mod1-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 14:32:41 -0600
From: Nick Andrews <nicothefabulous-at-hotmail-dot-com>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: Why no corona?

There are a couple of HV lines across GA from Atlanta south toward
Jacksonville that are >1MV.   Most are about 500kV, though.  We installed
several hundred miles of fiberoptic cable under them on the Level 3
Communications job.  The cable was what's called "dielectric" cable, i.e. no
steel armor, as is commonly used.  However, since there's no conductive
layer to inject a signal for locating the line, we also pulled a #6 copper
wire into an empty duct for this purpose.  We grounded the tracer at every
handhole, about 2500-2600' apart.  Even so, when you had it disconnected
from ground, it built up as much as 400V static charge in just 2500' of
wire, buried 4-8' underground!  When discharged, it could rebuild it in as
little as 7min or so.  So we had the guys wear lineman's boots and gloves
when working with the tracer line.

Nick A

http://photos.msn-dot-com/support/worldwide.aspx