Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 23:18:01 -0400
From: dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com
To: Tesla list <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: PDT (Pig) failure modes T&R Electric and SAFETY and lack of . .
.

What would posess anyone to actually tell T&R Electric that they would be
using their transformers for tesla coil use ? ? ?
Sure, for commercial tesla coil applications, this is fine, but if you are
an individual, you are immediately  telling T & R Electric that you are a
big time LIABILITY for them especially given the perceived complacency that
I feel a lot of people on this group have towards pole transformers.  Sure,
you can be cute about their cute little pet names and joke about them, but
the fact is you ain't gonna get a second chance with these things.  One
simple mistake and thats it.

Anyways, back to T&R Electric, I think if you tell them you're using your
pole transformer is for tesla coil use, you are just sealing your own fate
with them.  Sure, there are lots of knowledgeable, safe, careful, and
responsible tesla coilers out there, but theres just as many who are the
complete opposite, who don't even know what ohms law is, that are going out
for their first tesla coil using a 15kVA pole transformer.  You tell T & R
Electric you are using their transformer for tesla coil, I'm sure the first
image that comes to their mind is some crazy fool using car jumper wires
hooking this thing up to a coil that has no business even being connected
with a 12V battery.

On another note, I have a very good (and very difficult to watch) high
voltage training video that our power electricians use here at work.  There
are some very disturbing and frightening clips in this video involving pole
transformers and potential transformers.   I think I'll capture that video
and post it on my website.  I think after watching this video, it will wake
up a few people to the inherent dangers of these beasts.  They sure aren't
the cute little pigs most of you call them...

"Captain Corona"