RE: PDT (Pig) failure modes (fwd)

Original poster: "Dave Hartwick by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ddhartwick-at-earthlink-dot-net>

John,
Some water at the bottom at the tank is not a problem in and of itself, I
don't think. I don't know if there are implications with respect to change
in oil dielectric properties if conditions are such that liquid water is
present.

The concern is that the water, combined with the presence of crud chunks,
tends to cast doubt upon the care with which T&R prepares their ostensibly
"re-conditioned" transformers.

So--no, the presence of water in and of itself is not the primary concern.
Dave

Original poster: "John Richardson by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jprich-at-up-dot-net>

Hi guys,

electronics, or some of the stuff that crosses this list.  (Recurred
childhood interest, so please stick with me.)  It would seem to me that in
order to get that amount of H20 in the trans oil, enough that would
precipitate failure, there would have to have been a huge failure in the
sealing system, something that would have been large enough to be glaringly
obvious enough to have been visible to  someone doing a quick visible check
of  your PDT before shipment.  Secondly,  it would seem to me that even a
minute amount of water in the bottom of the PT case wouldn't present a huge
problem, as I'm assuming that the internals are a measure of distance above
the container bottom, and oil floats on H20.(?!)  In my experience with
electricity, and the vast majority of it is real world everyday stuff  vs.
what we deal with on the list,  I don't understand how this would be a
problem.  Help a high frequency virgin understand this, please.

Thanks, and sorry for the length.

John Richardson