Re: how does spark gap affect output?

Original poster: "Laurence Davis by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <meknar-at-hotmail-dot-com>

with a static load on the transformer, if it has a 10:1 step up ratio,
it will always be 10:1.  But I'm assuming that the gap varies the voltage at
a point below the transformers designed output.  Then when the arc strikes
(or is quenched: I'm not sure which) the inductor (primary) reacts with the
transformer drawing more current from it then during conduction of the
spark. thus there is a current/voltage spike when the arc is quenched.

I would also guess this can be calculated.  I expect that this is a direct
relationship with the primary inductance and its tuned frequency with the
capacitor.

just to be clear as to what i was asking.
I understand the simple reason as to why the gap must be a specific
distance.  I want to understand the principles behind it.

larry