Re: getting high voltage from the high voltage lines? (fwd)

Original poster: "David Speck by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dave-at-davidspeckmd-dot-org>

Ballasting and filtering is, indeed possible, but expensive.

At the mini steel mill here in town, they have a two story frame
probably 30 feet square filled with big HV inductors and capacitors to
keep the highly variable current demands of the electric arc furnace
from disturbing the power lines.  Still, when they first opened, the
lights would dim and flicker all over the county when they fired up the
monster, and computers not on UPS's would frequently reset.  Now, I
guess in response to complaints, they have installed even more effective
filtering, so the flickering is less noticable, but you can still tell
if it is a hot day, and the demand on the distribution system is high.

As I recall, the furnace runs at 60 volts at 600,000 average amps, three
phase.  The graphite electrodes are 16" diameter, and come in 6 foot
threaded sections, so they keep screwing new ones onto the ends of the
working pieces are they are consumed in operation.  You can hear the
furnace at least two miles away on a calm night, and if you are actually
there, the vibration rattles your chest!  Very impressive.

The mill is the largest electricity consumer in 4 counties, and uses
approximately $10 Meg of electricity each month, so NYSEG is reasonable
accomodating to their needs and problems.
Dave