RE: PDT (Pig) failure modes

Original poster: "Dave Hartwick by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ddhartwick-at-earthlink-dot-net>

Mark,
What a beautiful strike! No safety gap-- and no strike rail, I assume

This PDT (pole distribution transformer) must have been compromised when I
received it. Something I've not mentioned to the group is the fact that I've
not put much time on at all.
Maybe 30-60 minutes total coil run time. Max streamer length has been 50".

Further analysis of the failure may take place in conjunction with some fine
list minds like Terry F and Steve Mach. I may send the core to Terry, if I
can muster the courage for the job.
I'm psychologically impaired right now, having difficulty making an MOT
supply  work without transformer arcing.

Dave

Original poster: "Mark W. Stolz by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<mark_w_stolz-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Dave,

A primary strike is probably not going to hurt your pig.  Here's a shot of a
nice solid primary hit running ~12kVA.  The coil is a 12", the tank that
night was around .187uF.
http://users2.ev1-dot-net/~nmyreality/tesla/AJ010803/primary_strike.jpg

And no safety gap at all.  This is just one of many strikes I've seen this
coil take.

Mark Stolz
Houston, TX