Re: I NEED SOME HELP

Original poster: "S & J Young by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <youngs-at-konnections-dot-net>

Will,

It's pretty simple - if you triple the voltage you also reduce the current
by about a factor of 3.  So your output current can be up to 800 / 3 or
about 267 mA.

I worry about your bottle array.  Eventually one of them will break down,
and you will have a tremendous amount of Joules going into the failed
bottle, causing quite a dangerous explosion.  Spark discharges in liquids
generate much, much higher pressure waves than discharges through air.
Also, the impedance of the spark discharge through water (i.e. your failed
cap) is much higher than air, so almost all of the energy of the rest of the
capacitor bank will be absorbed in the failed cap.  (A spark in air has a
much lower impedance, so a lot of the energy gets wasted in the wiring and
the resistance in the rest of the caps.)  Needless to say, when one of your
bottle caps explodes violently, it will shatter quite a few of the
surrounding ones, making an awful mess.

If you insist on a huge bottle array, which I don't recommend, at least put
them in a big box to shield yourself and surroundings from the dangerous
glass shrapnel that will launch from your exploding failed bottle cap.

I also worry about your series string of 10 200V caps.  They need to handle
at least 2,400 times the square root of two volts, or about 3,400 volts
peak.  Your cap string will be rated for only 2,000 volts - a disaster
waiting to happen.  I think you should get some good analog theory and
practice under your belt before you starting messing with your very lethal
setups.  Recommend studying a Radio Amateur's Handbook for some good theory
and practical circuits, including how triplers work.  Then build some low
voltage triplers, etc. to experiment with before tackling the high voltage
stuff.

--Steve Young