Re: Will this particular Arc Welder work as a ballast???? (fwd)

In a message dated 9/22/02 2:50:12 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Hi Dave,
>
> I never saw a need to run resistive ballasting in combination with the
> welder, although I have tried it. All of my coils run as smooth as
> silk with just the inductive ballasting. I am also a subscriber to the
> KISS principle! Why add unnecessary clutter?
>
> Ed Wingate RATCB

Ed, Dave,

I never found any need for resistive ballast in my PT or pig
powered systems either.  They run smooth without it, and
adding it just wasted power.  It's also possible that the
resistance in the arc welder coils and wiring, or in the wire
coils of my ballast are behaving as a moderate resistive
ballasting.  Some variac-type ballasts may saturate and
perhaps require extra resistance.  This seems to be an
area where a good deal of controvery exists, and where
insufficient testing has been done apparently.

John