homemade ballasts

Original poster: "Gregory Peters by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <s371034-at-student.uq.edu.au>

Hello all,

I have currently been using two welders in parallel to ballast my
PDT. However, two welders isn't exactly space efficient, so I would
like to make my own ballast using either an EI core or tube full of
metal rods. Is there any reason why I can't use stranded pvc
insulated wire for this purpose? Everyone seems to use solid core
THHN wire. Firstly, what the heck is THHN? I can't find any reference
to this type of wire in any Australian catalogues. In any case, other
than magnet wire, I can't find any solid core wire that is thick
enough to handle ~50 amps.

Cheers,

Greg.