RE: Where to get 4kv 20ma NST?

Hi Dan,

On 24 Sep 2002, at 7:58, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>

> > 1.  You must use a Franceformer 4020SE Open Frame transformer (4kV/20mA
> > rated with 115VAC input and with
> >     shunts installed)
>
> The 115VAC input I can arrange (why on earth should Vmains make any
> difference??). What's wrong with a 230V transformer running off 230V?
> A transformer with a 115V primary and a Franceformer I cannot. I
> guess I'm barred even from entering the starting gates.
>

> The Vmains makes a huge difference.  For example, someone uses a 115VAC,
> 4kV, 20mA transformer.  If someone used
> a variac which can output up to 180VAC, then you then have possibly now a
> 6kV, 30mA transformer.  Although this will
> ultimately kill the transformer, it is possible to work under short periods.

Ah - the use of a variac has to be cheating IMO. You will be starting
the race on an uneven footing right from the word go if variacs are
allowed. Sans variac, the transformers *will* in fact be equal.

> I'm not trying to barr anyone from entering any type of "contest."  The
> event was mainly for a few individuals which attend a private tesla event
> each year, but now its seems to be expanding out worldwide.  The whole goal
> of the competition was to be a competition in efficiency and build design.
> By using the same model transformer and same exact input requirements, this
> contest would be somewhat fair and accurate.  Now by introducing all these
> other types of transformers etc... there is too much variability.

Well, I will just have to watch the competition from the sidelines in
that case. I'm not willing to part with in excess of NZ$150 to
qualify. To the best of my knowledge, those transformers are not
available here.

I would like to propose an amendment to the "rules": restrict the
input voltage to Vmains. That'll sort the design skills out.

Regards,
Malcolm