RE: The PING Test

Original poster: "John H. Couture by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <couturejh-at-mgte-dot-com>

Malcolm -

I cannot agree with you about the Q factor and the overall efficiency. It
does make sense and I showed in my post how any coiler can make the test and
do the calcs. Note that a Q factor of 300 would be about 183 cycles to 10%
using the ping test. This would give a very low resistance and a very high
secondary voltage which appears to be contrary to the actual test voltage.

What do you think about my question at the bottom of my post. Should I
increase or decrease the turns to increase the secondary voltage and spark
length for the same H/D coilform? There apparently aren't many coilers that
wish to comment on that question. It's certainly a very important decision
that ever coiler is confronted with when he builds a Tesla coil. It is
obvious that there is an optimum number of turns for a certain H/D coilform.

Most coilers use 1000 turns for that particular H/D coilform but what
happens if you increase or decrease the turns? I haven't heard of any coiler
that has researched this problem. With big coils this type of research can
be expensive. However, with the 4KV/20ma contest this can be easily and
inexpensively researched. It will be interesting to see how this contest
develops.

John Couture