RE: The PING Test

Original poster: "John H. Couture by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <couturejh-at-mgte-dot-com>

Antonio -

It may be possible to make a Ping oscillator using a 555 but I have not
tried this circuit. It may be necessary to add an operational amplifier to
provide a low impedance source.

In Terman's Radio Engineer's Handbook he points out that the secondary
voltage in the coupled circuit (Tesla coil) and the effective Q would be
slightly lower than the actual voltage and Q of the secondary coil alone. I
take this to mean that losses determine the amount of secondary voltage in
the TC system. Part of these losses are in the secondary circuit and are
determined by the Q factor of the secondary coil as in the equation
    R = 6.283 FL/Q
where R represents the losses. A smaller R would mean a larger Q and a
higher secondary voltage.

Do you have any comments on my question in the original post? Should the
turns be increased or decreased to increase the secondary voltage and spark
length with the same H/D coilform?

John Couture