RE: Mini coil contest

Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Gary.Lau-at-hp-dot-com>

I don't think there's been any shift in the shunt regulations.  It would be
a shame to limit the performance of these mini coils to the fully shunted
20 mA.  But I noted when I made mine, removing them all, while performing
very well, did cause the NST to quickly get hot, and we don't want folks
abusing their NST's in a destructive configuration for the sake of the
competition.  The last I heard from Dan, the rule was to leave at least 5
upper and 5 lower shunt laminations in.  Looking at the photo of my NST, it
looks like I have 8 & 9 shunts in there.  I measured my NST short circuit
current and found it to be 38mA.  I don't know that Dan actually measured
his with 5 & 5.  To be fair and to accommodate folks who use some other
brand 4kV NST (yes, in a separate competition category) where the shunt
configuration may be different, I think specifying a maximum short circuit
current for a 4kV NST is a fair and reasonable thing.

Gary Lau
MA, USA