Re: Styrofoam top loads

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "cd by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<vbprg1-at-hotmail-dot-com>

> I am guessing I cant get it to work beacuse I
> either cant tune to the point necessary (lack of equiptment/inexperience),
> or its capacitance is so high my system cant drive it?

Probably this.

> Would it be correct in thinking this type of torus would have a much
> greater capacitance than a torus made of hollow aluminum tubing?
> Would a torus with a sytrofoam center have a different capacitance
> than a hollow aluminum torus?

For the same size, no. Only the outer shape matters.

> Can you islolate a torus in space then
>  measure the capacitance with a multimeter?

Yes, with a capacitance meter. Connect one lead to the toroid, insulated
and at a good height from the ground or anything partially conductive,
and just hold the other lead in your hand (works better if you sit
on the ground).

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz