Re: VTTC help

Steve,

A relatively small primary and secondary can give pretty long tube
coil sparks.  I use a 3" x 12" secondary and a 6" dia primary for
up to 24" long sparks.  My designs and schematics can be seen at
my website at:

   http:hometown.aol-dot-com/futuret/page3.html.

There are various links for tube coils on various pages, etc at
the site.  I usually use the pulse staccato mode, but that feature can
be left out if desired.

A 240 volt variac can  be used on 120 volts, but it's a waste because
it won't handle any more current.  I use a 7.5amp, 120V variac for my
24" spark, 2400W VTTC.  But it's an old variac.  Now a days, they
make them wimpy sometimes.

> I would really just like to make a new coil with 2 tubes and larger pri/sec
> coils.  How does one dertermine values for any of the components(i dont need
> formulas, but some guidelines)??  What values should the caps have? Where is
> a good # of turns per each coil?  Should i use 2 seperate inductors, or keep
> the hartley oscillator with the tapped inductor as a primary?

Your choice about the separate inductors or Hartley.  The Hartley
is theoretically more stable, but I prefer the separate inductors.

John