Re: New 4" coil: R.Hull and CSN, Secondary Varnish

Original poster: "Charles Brush by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <cfbrush-at-interport-dot-net>

>Original poster: "Wall Richard Wayne by way of Terry Fritz
><twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rwall-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-com>
>

>>  > I note that Richard Hull advocates minimum or no varnish at all, stating
>  > > that pretty secondaries with lots of varnish are also lossy.

I have a bunch of Richard Hull's tapes, and have seen him use no
varnish on some coils, and some varnish on others.  Just a little
varnish is usually a good thing.  I tried not varnishing a 6" coil I
made in '97.  Once while lifting the coil out of the primary a couple
of the windings somehow slipped on the plexi tube.  It was just
enough to cause a slight loss of tension.  The result was that
several windings skipped over adjacent windings and it was a real
mess.  I thought the coil was wrecked and that I would have to rewind
it, but I managed to finally get the windings back in place.  Since
then I always varnish, even if it's just a thin layer, simply to lock
down the windings and keep them from shifting.

Zap!

Charles Brush
http://www.VoltNet-dot-com