Re: VTTC/SSTC Spark Appearance Comparison

Original poster: "Justin Hays by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <pyrotrons2000-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Hi All,

(Largely in response to Steve Ward) Hmm, so you had to "tweak away"
to get straight sparks with your VTTC. And you say the input voltage
multiplier was a factor?? All the things mentioned, especially this
on, make me want to say that "smooth pulsed" RF input (non-sinusoidal
50/60Hz RF input pulses to primary) are what's responsible for the
straight arcs.

(snip from Scott C.)
 > I think (this is just my opinion) the frequency is important.

Hmmm...I'm not sure how much frequency affects the spark appearance
(I'm keeping in mind that this is your opinion). My opinion is that
it doesn't matter as much as the numerous other factors. I'm sure
frequency matters, I just don't think it will cause the drastic
difference between super-straight and branched arcs.

I ran a feedback SSTC at 2Mhz several months ago, about 300W input. I
didn't notice any difference in arc appearance than with other
~300kHz SSTC's I've built. Then again......300W is barely enough
power to get streamers to branch, so my paragraph here is probably
useless.

Still lookin' for a RF envelope waveform for straight-arc SSTC...

Take care,

Justin Hays
KC5PNP
Email: justin-at-hvguy-dot-com