Re: Capacitance of domed topload

The Medhurst approximation (used for self C of a secondary) is really an
approximation of the C of a cylinder over a ground plane, and will be
fairly close.

Another approach to approximate is to divide the cylinder up into little
rings, and calculate the capacitance to ground of each ring, then sum.  If
the distance from cylinder to ground is >> dimensions of cylinder, you can
probably just approximate with the surface area of the cylinder and the
"average" distance to ground.

An analytical approach is to consider it as a modified case of two
concentric cylinders (or, cones, more precisely) where one of the cones is
opened all the way out.

Attempts to come up with an analytical solution will quickly get you into
Bessel functions and elliptic integrals (after all, it has all those
circular symmetries).  Fun for some, as an intellectual exercise.  (Find
someone to assign it as a homework problem in a class!)  Given that you're
at Surrey, you might ask someone in the antennas/microwave area who deal
with this sort of thing all the time: David Jeffries is an antenna guy with
a pedagogical bent, judging from his web page(s)). I don't have his phone
number handy, but I'm sure he's in the faculty directory.