Re: MOT Power Supply Questions

Original poster: "Stephen Conner by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <steve-at-scopeboy-dot-com>

At 08:23 01/04/03 -0700, you wrote:
>Original poster: "Simonas by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>"
><rasim-at-takas.lt>
>
>Hiall,
>
>has anybody ever tried following configuration for DC tesla coil? :
>3ph outlet, 6 MOTs, 6 HV diodes
>2 MOTs connected in series and those 3 pairs in star configuration..
>in theory there should be 10kva 10kV power suply..

It might well work. The output would be 2*sqrt(3) times the rectified
output of a single MOT, if I understand right. I suppose that's about 8.5kV.

What I'd love to do if I ever got the time, money, workspace, parts, and
insanity, is build a 12-MOT power supply that runs off one of those gas
turbine ground power units. I recently saw an air force surplus GPU
available in the UK for a few hundred pounds (about the price of a big pole
pig) that gave 60kW at 115V, 3 phase, 400Hz.

With the higher frequency, I reckon the MOTs could be easily modified
(deshunting and replacing primary with about 20 turns of #12 wire) to give
around 6 times the voltage (and hence power) they gave on 50/60Hz.
Therefore, six twin-MOT stacks (under oil natch) could be 6-pulse rectified
to provide 20kV DC at around 3 amps, with low enough ripple that no DC link
smoothing would be needed. Add a pile of Maxwell pulse caps, a 200bps RSG,
a 12 foot tall secondary, a weather balloon wrapped in chicken wire for a
topload, and you'd be cooking by gas... Avgas I suppose

Dream on....

Steve C.