Re: Mag amps and generators ?

Original poster: "Jan Wagner by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jwagner-at-cc.hut.fi>

Hi,

On Wed, 2 Apr 2003, Tesla list wrote:
 > Original poster: "Mark Snoswell by way of Terry Fritz
<teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mark-at-cgCharacter-dot-com>

 > I was just thinking about totally different power supply configurations
 > for TC's ... I thought I remembered hearing that Tesla used high
 > frequency AC generator at one stage? ... Anyone remember or can confirm
 > or refute that?
 >
 > Has anyone tried, seen or thought about building a high frequency
 > generator for TC's --  it would not be easy, but could be quite robust.

Solid state TCs and vacuum tube TCs are essentially just that. You could
of course try to build a true mechanical generator, but I'm sure that'd be
a lot more complicated than a simple SSTC or VTTC.

In some of Teslas patents there's described a dual system with a rotary
switch, which generates a "high frequency" (high... hah... ;) drive to two
resonant systems. Basically DC => HF AC. IIRC you can find the patent
at least on, umm, Keelynet (just ignore the free-energy stuff there).
Probably available somewhere else too.

 > I was also wondering about Magnetic amplifiers -- you can pump very
 > large amounts of power with these and they are extremely robust -- In
 > the past they have been limited to LF because of core material
 > limitations. However I have a AMCC1000 metglas core here (Honeywell)
 > that can handle KW's at 100Khz +   ... And it just made me think of Mag
 > apms

Pardon my ignorance, but are magnetic amplifiers still in use? I've a book
about them and how to use them in switch mode regulators, but that book is
from 1960 or so (almost antique ;-), and they sure seem superseded by
power solid state devices nowadays... ?

cheers,
  - Jan

--