Re: desirability of high coupling...Re: primary INSIDE of secondary?

 >  > current of a propagating stremer only lasts for a few fractions of a
 >  > microsecond and is measured in amperes, even in tens of amperes. ... If
the
 >  > laboratory voltage source permits, a streamer corona an be observed
lasting
 >  > for many hours.  It does not lead to short circuiting, because, for
this,
 >  > it is necessary that the streamer channels cross the whole gap space,
which
 >  > normally occurs in atmospheric air at an average field of about 5
kv/cm."

 > This description appears to be related to a kind of streamer that I call
<snipped out>
 > that these "failed sparks" can generate something that resembles a
 > Tesla coil streamer, but this would require very high power.

B&R have lots of power available.. I'll bet they have a very low output
impedance source that can just sit at a couple MV for this kind of thing.
When you have all the might of the (former) USSR behind you at your HV lab,
many things are possible.

 >  > One of B&R's more poetic passages.. clearly they are impressed by the
 >  > appearance, and these are guys who make 100m+ discharges at many MV
 >  > and many MJ
 >
 > High power...

Indeed...

 >  > >The effects of the envelope on streamer development are still
 >  > >mysterious,
 >  > >I think. The detuning when the streamers develop may be not a so
serious
 >  > >problem if the coupling is high. And even with low coupling, the
system
 >  > >may "tune itself" to a certain average streamer length.
 >  >
 >  > The more this gets discussed, the more I think about figuring out how
 >  > make a numerical model of the entire system, including the spark
channel..

 > Complicated, but not impossible. Probably someone already have the
 > right models developed.

There have been some 2D and 2-1/2D models for spark development, but none
tied to a TC type source that I am aware of.