Re: High midnight at the Texas corral

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Bunnykiller by way of Terry Fritz
<teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bunikllr-at-bellsouth-dot-net>

 > just what is involved in building a maggie???  those of us who have tried
 > to learn about them are either left with minimal info or we are overwhelmed
 > by the math Antonio has offered   ;)   ...  I learned how to build my coils
 > by looking at the differences between the multitude of descriptions of
 > coils shown on the ( at that time only 97 web pages on the Tesla Coil Link
 > ... what is it now 500???) T- Coiling Links. What is the "link" between the
 > primary, secondary, tercerary coils that make them "tuned" to produce those
 > magnificent arc lengths???

A quick resume of the magnifier idea, as I see it at least, without
formulas (that can be seen at my site):

-Two coils system are more efficient when the coupling is high. This is
well knowm. High coupling leads to smaller losses and insensitivity to
precise tuning.
-It's difficult to achieve a coupling above, say, 0.2 in a regular Tesla
transformer working in air. The most obvious problem is sparking
between the coils. This causes the energy transfer to occur in 3
full cycles of the primary voltage or more (modes above 5:6).
-It is possible to just split the secondary coil in two, moving the
top part away. This reduces the intensity of the electric field
around the "driver" part, what can allow tighter coupling. But this
split lowers the effective coupling between the coils, and the
result is just a different version of a conventional system. If it
is possible to achieve higher than usual coupling in this way, I
am not sure (I will take a look).
-With an additional capacitor across the secondary coil (driver
output), that would exist anyway as a parasitic capacitance, the
system oscillates at three frequencies instead of the two of a
conventional system. It is possible to achieve very fast energy
transfer by adjusting that capacitance to a certain particular
value. The assembled system resonates at three frequencies
with ratios as 1:2:3 (the faster), or 2:3:4, or 4:5:6, etc.
-The element values for a magnifier can be exactly determined using
the formulas that I show in my site, or the programs that I have
prepared, but if the energy transfer occurs in just a few cycles,
the values are not critical.
-Problems:
It's difficult to build the capacitor across the
secondary coil. It is small, but has to sustain a lot of voltage.
The secondary coil obtained from the equations has usually a quite
large inductance in the faster modes.
When the gap quenches the energy is trapped in the secondary-
tertiary system, that oscillates at two frequencies instead of the
single one of a conventional system. The effect of this is unknown.
My directly coupled magnifier didn't show a convincing performance.
It's not much better than a two coils directly coupled system that
transfers energy in many more cycles, and clearly inferior to a
conventional transformer system with two coils, with similar energy
transfer time. All used the same resonator, primary capacitor, and
power supply.

My "magnifier theory" page, with links to my coil pages and design and
simulation programs, is at:
http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/tesla/magnifier.html

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz