Re: Polishing Lexan or Plexiglass

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 4/9/03 12:23:41 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> >I'm wondering if there is any way to polish the edges to
> >reduce/remove machining marks from the Lexan.
>          There is a product/system used in aircraft
>
>          maintenance for polishing windscreens.  Name
>          escapes me:
>                  micromesh, microscreen
>          ?
>          Something like that.  Approved by the FAA, leaves
>          an 'absolutely' clear finish.  (so they say.)
>
>          Poking about on the web, or a visit to a (smaller)
>          airport with small a/c maintenance shop might
>          help.
>
>          best
>          dwp

We have a local company that makes golf car windshields for us out of
acrylic.  They cut the material on a table saw and use a small torch to
finish the edges.  I believe it burns hydrogen and oxygen.  It leaves a
beautiful, smooth edge.  Looks like it has been polished.

Ed Sonderman