Re: Coil winders

Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Daniel Hess by way of Terry Fritz
<teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dhess1-at-us.ibm-dot-com>

 > I built a coil winder out of an old, decommissioned IBM Copier II. It had
 > all the motors, chains, sprockets, etc., and frame sides to build a large
 > capacity winder. Will handle a coil form up to 21" x 7'. It's constructed
 > similar to a lathe, the bed of which I fabricated from high quality 2x4'
 > lumber.
 >
 > I don't get to use it near as often as I wish.
 >
 > Daniel

	Don't forget that you can wind a coil entirely by hand and do a good
job if you're careful and patient.  Lots of cut pieces of masking tape,
wire spool on floor with wire fed over the end, and coil form in your
lab.  Try it - it isn't hard at all and you will be spending your time
making your coil, not making a winder.  Winders are handy and I have a
good one I've made, but that's by no means the only way to go.

Ed