Re: High Voltage Reference

Original poster: "Mike by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <megavolts61-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Thanks Dave!

 >I stumbled onto this URL while researching electrical
creepage for
 >work project.  It is 11 chapters in all (replace
numeral '1'
 >with 2,3,4, etc.), about 200-300 pages in all.
 >  http://www.elect.mrt.ac.lk/HV_Chap1.pdf

<snip>

I just started reading the first chapter of this and
wanted to mention that, although it seems to be
valuable information, I've noticed three pages that
appear to have mistakes. I'll note these:

   On page 8, it refers to the gas law as being PV=mRT,
where m = mass.  The gas law is PV=nRT, where n = the
number of mols of gas(a mol = 6.022 x 10^23
molecules). The gas law is independent of the mass of
the gas molecules.  The density is, of course mass per
unit volume,but that is not part of the ideal gas law.
I don't know what effect this would have on the
subsequent calculations...just wanted to point that
out.
    On page 10,  figure 1.7 shows the cathode to have a
positive potential...minor mistake in the drawing.
    On page 13, the second to the last paragraph uses
the value 5 x10^-4 torr twice in one sentence....one
of those is incorrect.  The second one should be
5x10^-3 torr from looking at the graph above, I
believe.

    Now, I am sure that this reference is the result of
much hard work and that the information is essentially
correct, but if I can find three mistakes from just
skimming through the material in five minutes, it does
make me a little gaurded in believing everything I
read in it(I have not scrutinized the equations or
anything).  I would think that someone publishing a
paper of this nature would have had it proof read
first. I guess I am just suggesting that, if you use
this information, you might want to check the accuracy
first.
Mike