Sherline was - Re: Magnifier primary

Hi Terry,

The DRO is wonderful!!  Worth many times the price!  A simple thing but a
ton of thought went into it.  I used to tape on cheap machine scales, but
the "real" DRO is excellent!  I could not make it for less money...

I hate to say it here since we don't want everyone on the list bidding
against each other, but Sherline is selling cosmetic defect but otherwise
brand new and garanteed machines on E-bay for about 1/2 price.  They take
all the cosmetic defect parts and make perfectly working but "cosmetic off"
machines out of them and sell them to the highest bidder.

http://cgi.ebay-dot-com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2524668685

Kim is the sales agent at Sherline.  Unfortunately, they can get bided up
to like $0.03 under the cost of normal new machines :-p  Good used Sherline
stuff does not go cheap either...  Ebay has many parts, but I have seen
some really torn up stuff there too, so beware...

Also, note that there are places that buy Sherline tools in quantity and
sell them on the net for like 10-20% discount.  Good to shop around for
prices there especially if you need something expensive.  Little odds and
ends I just get direct, but if your talking hundreds of dollars, you can
save worthwhile cash big time.  Yahoo groups has a big group on Sherline
stuff too.  There is also a big CNC following too, but my stuff is all one
of a kind so I have no need to make quantities of anything or mess with
fancy computer controlled stuff...

Sherline is made for "small stuff" but that is all I really do that has to
be milled to precision.  But it can do pretty big stuff to if you are
cleaver ;-))  It's light frame may require three passes where a Bridgeport
requires one.  But a big machine won't fit on my desk and store on the
shelf ;-)  Sherline also makes metal lathes out of all the same parts so
you can get real creative in using the lathes parts on the mill.  I got the
lathe chuck and I just stick it on the mill head and hold the cutting tools
in the vice.  It works really well for a "quick" lathe!!

I can highly recommend Sherline stuff as high quality and really does work
very well.  Joe Martin owns the place and he is a big time hobbyist type
that "knows what we need" kind of guy.   The sales literature will tell you
that about 10,000 times, but it really is true ;-))  The only complaint is
that the stuff is pricey...  But just look at Parrazi machines ($2500) to
cure you of that!  I have now realized that I am the type that spends
thousands of bucks on hobbies anyway...

Last year with Tesla coils and my little battle robot stuff, I decided I
needed to be able to precision mill things.  I looked all around and got
the Sherline stuff and I am totally happy with it.  I don't work for them
and I don't get a kick back either ;-))  It is very very fun too!!

Before you ask...  I have asked many people about the "Harbor Freight
class" Chinese made milling machines that go for $500 that do about the
same thing.  They are bigger and heavier but no one that has used them
seems very happy with them.  Screws falling out, impossible to adjust
gibes, 65.2 mil per turn wheels (extra credit if you figure out how they do
that ;-)) things never really flat and straight...  I keep thinking I will
get one to use just as a fancy drill press, but I keep getting scarred
off...  I know that many people love Harbor Freight stuff, but twist drill
bits that "un-twist"*.......  too goofy for me ;-))

Cheers,

         Terry

*I assume they are some kind of "joke" thing...