Re: SRSG questions

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <FutureT-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 4/22/03 7:57:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>Other kinds work less well. 2-pole types (rated around 2850/3450rpm) need
>only 2 flats on the rotor and the flats have to be bigger with all the
>torque problems that entails. Motors without a run capacitor don't do too
>good either.

Steve,

I have a 1/10th HP, 3600 rpm motor that I ground 2 flats into, and it works
quite well, and the torque is quite good too.  There is no run cap, nor is
there any start cap.  It uses a start winding.  The squirrel cage rotor is
1 7/8" dia, and I made the flats 1 1/16" wide if I remember correctly.

To the person who was wondering how to set the phase for the sync-rotary,
one can just rotate the motor in the cradle in a trial and error fashion
at low power until the best sparks are obtained, then increase the power
and verify best phase position.  Another approach is to use my phase
controller circuit which can be seen at my website at:

   http://hometown.aol-dot-com/futuret/page3.html

John