Re: compact oil insulated secondaries?

Original poster: "S Gaeta by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <sgtporky-at-prodigy-dot-net>

Hi Jolyon,

I did this last year, and it works great. There is no added capacitance. I
did not have to retune at all for the oil filled secondary. The whole story
is at http://community.webshots-dot-com/photo/17907914/64446200TAzAHL Select the
"normal" viewing mode rather than "Fit window" so that you can read the
text, or you can click the "view full size" thingy under the photo to get
the big picture.

In previous experiments involving Shell Diala, I found that the oil attacks
RTV (Silicone) adhesive. It also attacks my Minwax quick drying
polyurethane. I went to a plastic distributor and got some Lexan. This bonds
well to PVC with Cyanoacrylate (Tak Pak) adhesive. The Tak Pak literaly
melts the PVC and the lexan a little bit so that both of the parts being
bonded really do become one. The pieces have to fit together really well
though. The pipe must be cut really flat so that it contacts the lexan along
the entire edge. I laid four Seals All beads vertically along the secondary
to hold the wire in place. I also laid two vertical beads of Tak Pak just in
case the Seals All failed. After a few months passed, I found that the Seals
All did in fact fail! I can see through the lexan at the top of the coil,
and the Seals All came right off the winding. The winding is in good shape
though. It's a good idea to use clear tubing if you can get it so that you
can see what's going on in there. The problem is that the clear stuff is
expensive. PVC is free if you know where to look for it ;-)

Sue