Re: Static gap BPS, was Static Spark Gap

Original poster: "Steven Ward by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <srward16-at-hotmail-dot-com>

>From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Static gap BPS, was Static Spark Gap
>Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 11:22:36 -0600
>
>Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>"
><Gary.Lau-at-hp-dot-com>
>
>The BPS of a static gap is only remotely tied to the mains
>frequency.  With a 60 Hz supply, one would achieve 120 BPS only if the gap
>breakdown voltage was precisely set to the voltage that the cap would
>acquire after one half-cycle of power.

I have actually achieved 240bps from a sucker gap with my 1800va coil.  The
gap was set slightly SMALLER than its max.  When i fired it up, it had that
droneing synchronous tone.  I thought it to be terribly annoying, but did
sound 'mean' as many others have said.  This only happened on one night,
and worked that way until i changed the gap size again.  The coil did not
work terribly well at that output.  Sparks were only 4-4.5feet, as compared
to 5-5.5 feet.  Also, the coil would loose synchrony when it power arced to
the strike rail (im sure it would have done the same if it arced to ground,
but the sparks werent long enough).  But then when the power arc quenched,
it was right back to 240bps sound.  This was a very strong sound, that was
quite consistent.  Very cool indeed, though it didnt work as well as larger
gap spacing.  And this is the fact that makes me want to say, it was really
240bps i was hearing, since if it was 120, and i opened the gap, it would
likely be less the 120bps, and that is very dangerous for the caps and
transformers.

So im just mentioning that synchrony may be possible with a static gap, if
you are extremely lucky.  I could not recreate what happened that night
when i tried.  And from my thoughts, there is not benifit to having a
synchronous static gap like i did (i didnt say there is no use for ALL
synch gaps!).  I wish i had the scope back when that happened, maybe i
could have double checked.

Steve Ward.

http://join.msn-dot-com/?page=features/junkmail